Thursday, April 26, 2007

The lives of others

Recently we went to watch the movie The Lives of Others - I recommend it very much. The movie deals with a terrible period of time in the history of Eastern Germany, a few years before the wall fell. The film was not done in extravagance, nor is it shown as a melodrama, the dialogs are so precise and whatever happens is subtle, unfolding quietly as if we (the viewers) are entering the lives of these people instead of showing events with a starting point, middle and end. To me, the film had a poetic cloak to it that I miss in life around now. Perhaps it is because I am so caught up in the mundane at the moment, it was like a breath of fresh air to listen to a few lines from Brecht quoted in the movie. Also, I liked very much the painting which hanged in the apartment of the main characters.

And of course without a funny small incident the experience wouldn't be complete: as we were waiting for the movie to begin for some mysterious reason, one of most annoying songs that exists was played to our benefit (it makes my ears hurt) - Hotel California of The Eagles! and to top that, the couple sitting behind had to sing along and really made me want to cry..

Here is the link to the film's website, although I am not sure how well is the trailer in giving away some of the essence of the movie.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/thelivesofothers/

No comments: